Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Dress like a Genius!


Checking in to see if anyone has done anything to challenge themselves this year so far? They were pretty easy attempts…paint your nails green? Make a face at your neighbor at a stop light? Hosted a party?
Well, whether you have or haven’t, today’s post is about something that is a challenge for me in particular, but seemingly opposite of the challenge for courage…or  so I thought!
A few weeks ago I was thinking about how much clothing I have to wash, and how much time I spend thinking about what I am going to wear each morning for just a normal day of work, and how exhausting both were.
Because I am a studio artist, and most days I don’t see more than a couple of people (save my family) I am generally trying to pull together an outfit that is comfortable (for the studio) but creative (because it makes me feel good) and presentable (in case I have a client or someone stops by)….that’s a lot of pressure to create for myself day after day after day – and I choose to NOT create that any longer.
There have been many days in my life when I thought “I’m not going anywhere, I have to do some down and dirty work in the studio, so I’ll just pull my hair back, put on my jeans and a t-shirt, and who needs makeup – right?!  Inevitably those are the days when I get a last minute call to restock at one of the shops that carries my wares, or someone comes by and wants to have a lunch meeting…so then for the next few weeks, I harden my resolve and put more thought into my daily wear as I do not want to be caught unawares again! It’s EXHAUSTING!!
I realized late last week, that although I would choose a different shirt and pants each day, that I generally ended up with the same long jacket over them. It’s an Autumn Tenyl Indira hoodie, that I love and wear often, it’s comfortable, warm, versatile, creative and presentable! Since, it fits ALL my criteria,  it’s a major part of my wardrobe in general.  What I came to realize is that it didn’t matter really what I wore beneath it, because all anyone really saw was the jacket!
Then I remembered that Albert Einstein was known to own several identical items of clothing, and wore the same style suit each and every day…although there is some debate  as to whether or not this is true it is told to be based in truth.   I remember the first time I heard it and how the idea rang true to me somewhere deep in my core.
Then unfortunately for the world ~ Steve Jobs recently passed away. In reading about the life of this wonderful spirit, there were a many reports about how he attempted to convince the folks in his factories to wear uniforms to work.  Although the idea didn’t go over very well with the folks that worked for him, he decided to adopt his own uniform…the infamous blue jeans and black mock turtle neck.  Do you see where I am going with this yet? : )
I decided that it was a really good idea, this uniform thing, after all how could it be a bad idea if it was practiced by a couple of the most genius people we’ve known?!  Right? I was excited!! Then I took a look at my wardrobe, and realized I have an unnatural attachment to many of my wonderful wardrobe options. Especially my Autumn Tenyl pieces (some of which were one of a kind and are no longer available). Not to mention that in Wisconsin there are wide and varied seasonal changes in the weather which must be accommodated for sometimes in the same day.  I began to become discouraged…
Perhaps not a full life of the same “uniform” was going to work for me but something of a smaller scale might be perfectly acceptable, process less of a burden on my creative brain, and ease my morning routine!  One a week uniforms!! I thought I’d be able to pick one outfit for the week, which I could do on Sunday night, then not have to think about what I am wearing all week!! Each week I can change the outfit, but it will still be less of a brain challenge for me, especially on those days (we all have them) when NOTHING goes right, nothing looks right, and nothing will make you happy….if you already have a plan, that’s an easy fix.  Besides, if something important came up I could always make a wardrobe change – it’s not like I’m locking myself in a wardrobe prison! I am a jewelry artist and creative person after all….I should be able to accessorize ANYTHING to change the look if necessary, watching the new Project Accessory taught me that only last week!!
SO…..after almost a full week of wearing basically the same outfit (my ATD jacket), last week I decided to go full on!  I wore a very comfortable pair of black jeans and a black long sleeve t-shirt sweater.  I wore it every day: Monday through Saturday (Sunday is PJ day at our house)  I wore it in the studio, comfortably; wore it out to lunch meetings,  I wore it in the evening out with friends.  I changed my hair, I changed my jewelry, I changed my accessories…but I wore the same clothes.   And guess what….NO ONE NOTICED!!!
Not one single solitary person took notice that I had worn the same outfit every day. Not anyone in my family…who saw me each and every day. Not one of my friends, who I spent more than one portion of time with on different days….no one.  When I told them that I had worn the same outfit all week, they didn’t even believe me!! My husband laughed, my kids argued with me….and I didn’t tell them until Sunday, so I asked them if anyone could remember what I wore….just like witnesses to a crime, not a single one of them really got it right!!  So if no one else really notices what I am wearing, then WHY oh why am I so concerned with it??!
This sparked a memory from my young adulthood, when I held a hostessing job at a small semi upscale restaurant, and I had to wear a black skirt, white top and heels to work. It didn’t matter the style really, but those were the guidelines.  Being I was young and living on my own, I didn’t have a great deal of money to spend on clothing – or even accessories.  I bought one black short skirt, one long black skirt, one button white top and one pull over.  I remember accessorizing them differently each time I went to work….no one had any idea that I only owned a four piece work wardrobe!!  Think boots or tights, sweaters and scarves, belts and baubles! That’s what changed my look on a regular basis, and it worked!
Therefore…I’M GOING FOR IT!!   This week, I’ve got blue jeans and a mid-length sleeve, cream turtleneck. AND I’m going to rock it!  I will not have to accessorize it unless I feel like it or unless I am going somewhere or have to meet someone…those moments can be easily stolen if I already have the base outfit!!
In the time it would have normally taken me to stand in my closet, wonder about what “look” I wanted to project for the day, make sure it was functional, comfortable, presentable, and ready for a visit, THEN to find my clothing, determining then if it “felt” right for the day and to finally get dressed….today, I got dressed, pulled my hair back, and wrote this blog! Think about the time saved just in one day, the laundry time that will be reduced, the materials reduced to wash as well, and most importantly the brain power…so many levels of saving to be used on more creative endeavors!
We could even add this to one of our challenges for next year…wear the same outfit for a full week! hmm….I just might add that to the list!! Who’ll join me in THIS challenge THIS year?! I’m in!
Dressing like a genius truly IS genius!!  I feel smarter already!